Thursday, December 11, 2008

Erin Cameron celebrates at Applebee's

(I wonder who the Hometown Hero was?)

While we're on the subject of swimming, my buddy Tim Barrett sent me a nice link from the Monroe News on Gibraltar Carlson's Erin Cameron. Check this out...
Erin Cameron made swimming history for Gibraltar Carlson Saturday.

The junior became the first Carlson swimmer to win a state title and she did it twice, both in state-record times.
Ordinary kids doing extraordinary things! That's what I love about high school sports.

Cameron set state records in the backstroke (55:68) and individual medley (2:05.40), winning those events by two and five seconds, respectively.
Cameron celebrated with a meal at Applebee's
"I ate some pretty bad stuff for me," she said. "I had a nice hamburger and some chocolate cake. I haven't had anything like that for at least the last two weeks."

Cameron made the U.S. Open cut in the backstroke and her Senior Nationals cut in both events. She will compete in Nationals Dec. 4-7 in Atlanta.

Thought this was rather interesting as well...

Milan's Maura Donahue repeated as a double state champion and broke the state record in the 500 freestyle...

Donahue repeated as champion in the 200 (1:52.51) and 500 freestyle (5:00.00). Her 500 time broke the state record. She needed it as runner-up Leigh Holmes of Alma was just 15/100ths of a second behind in 5:00.15.

"The last 50 yards, my heart was in my throat," said Milan coach Dan Heikka. "Maura is just a gutsy kid. I was very proud of her."

Donahue said she took the early lead, but Holmes came from behind. "It was neck and neck for probably about 10 laps," the Milan senior said. "I was just trying to put on the speed while still having something left. In the last four lengths, I really started to pick it up."
The NFL has the Manning's - Archie, Payton, and Eli. Milan, Michigan has the Donahue's.
Maura plans to study nursing in college, possibly at the University of Indianapolis where her sister, Meghan, is a swimmer. Their mother, Sally Donahue, was a state champion for Milan in the 50 and 100 freestyle.
Oh - and the Hack House Museum.

No comments: