Saturday, January 17, 2009

My life began on February 9, 1964.

Those who know me know my love of the printed text.

Among my favorites - magazines.

And among my favorite magazines - Rolling Stone. I now have a lifetime subscription. No idea if Jann Wenner and clan still offer this as an option, but I'm thrilled to own one.

Another favorite, although relatively recent, is Esquire. Subscription is inexpensive. Writing's great. And, it contains my regular favorite feature among all publications.

Titled "What I've Learned," the piece taps into the collective knowledge of those still older than me.

It seems to always contain at least one line that nails my thought pattern.

Here's one from Little Steven (guitarist for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, he played Silvio Dante on HBO's The Sopranos):

February 8, 1964, there was not one single rock 'n' roll band in the country. February 9, the Beatles played The Ed Sullivan Show. February 10, everyone had one. In the garage. "Garage rock" is traditional rock 'n' roll. If you think of it as the early Stones, you're fine.
My life began on February 9, 1964.
I love that.
When did your life begin?


No comments: